You would be surprised how easy and fast you can whip up some blackened fish! Smoky tasting from the smoked paprika with a kick from the cayenne…delish! You can use any white fish in this recipe such as cod, tilapia, flounder, snapper, grouper, catfish, you name it. This blackened fish is pan fried in just enough olive oil that does not make the fish greasy. The recipe probably takes around 30 minutes total to make. I think letting the fish sit for about 10-15 minutes with the seasoning makes a huge difference, it really allows the flavors to infiltrate into the fish.
- 1.5-2 pounds of fish, in fillets
- 3 T smoked paprika
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 3-4 T olive oil
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Bowl should be large enough for one filet of fish to fit in
2. Dip both sides of the filets in the spice mixture until completely coated. Repeat with all filets. Let coated fish sit for 10-15 minutes (optional but recommended!)
3. Heat medium-large saucepan with olive oil until pan is hot and oil is about to bubble
4. Put all fish into pan in one single layer, cook for 3 minutes on each side on medium-high heat. If fish is sticking to pan, add a tiny bit of olive oil. Squeeze lemon juice on just before removing from pan. Enjoy!