Getting into the holiday spirit this weekend! My family and I do an annual cookie bake and we make about 10 different types of cookies! I love spending time in the kitchen playing festive music, covered in flour, baking cookies with people that I love. I wanted to share one of my favorite cookie recipes, the classic gingerbread. This recipe has evolved over the past few years and they are so tasty and have the perfect amount of ginger, spice, and sweetness. So delicious, I highly recommend trying! This year I also got festive with the decorating, its always good to make the baking experience even more fun! Happy holidays!
I’ve also attached a picture of the cookies we made this year at the bottom of the post. Feel free to take a peak! Comment below if you would like any other cookie recipes!
Makes about 40 cookies, of various sizes (2-3 inches each)
- 6 T butter – softened
- 3/4 C dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 + 3/4 C Flour + extra for rolling out dough
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 T + 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 + 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 C molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cookie cutters of choice
- Icing or sprinkles for decorating
- Beat butter, brown sugar and egg until combined in medium bowl
- Add dry ingredients: 2 + 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. Beat well
- Add molasses and vanilla. Beat
- Divide dough into 2. Wrap each in wax paper and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cooking sheets with parchment paper or use cooking spray
- Prepare a surface for rolling out dough with a generous amount of flour. Roll dough until 1/4 inch thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet, 1 inch apart. If planning to decorate with sprinkles add sprinkles prior to baking. If desire to decorate with icing add icing once cookies are baked and cooled.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes for soft cookies. Add a few minutes for more crunchy cookies
- Once removed from oven, wait about 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack
- Decorate with icing or sprinkles as desired!