If you like buffalo chicken this is must try! The spaghetti squash gives this dish some bulk in addition to extra fiber! Spaghetti squash has a very mild taste and takes on the sauce or ingredients of the dish itself, while adding an additional crunch. The buffalo sauce is also made with greek yogurt to provide a lower fat option with higher protein, and it is still just as creamy!
For those who like spice, I recommend using the pepper jack cheese as listed below, this would be for a medium spice level. For more of a mild spice I recommend reducing the pepper jack to half or completely omitting it and substituting for cheddar cheese.
Spaghetti squash can be difficult to work with if you haven’t had the pleasure of cooking with it before. The biggest challenge I think is cutting it! My trick is to put it in the microwave on high for 5 minutes and then cutting it, trust me it is much easier! I also like to cook my squash in the microwave which takes half the time as it goes in the oven. See directions below for each method of cooking the squash. Enjoy!
makes 4 servings/boats
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 pound of chicken breasts – cooked (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup scallions – chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion – chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – chopped
- 1/2 C shredded pepper jack cheese (sub 1/2 cheddar cheese for less spicy)
- 1/2 C reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2/3 C greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- 2/3 C Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 2 T butter or butter substitute – melted
- 1 C low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cook the spaghetti squash: First cut the squash in half lengthwise. If you are having trouble cutting it, put it in the microwave on high for 5 minutes and then try cutting it
- Oven method: Cut the squash in half. Then drizzle 2 T olive oil on all 4 halves of the squash. Bake in oven on a sheet pan face down for 40-45 minutes until able to pierce with a fork
- Microwave method: Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Cook for 15-20 minutes on high face down on a plate. Note: you may only be able to fit 1 squash (2 halves) onto a plate at one time. Squash is cooked when able to piece with a fork
- While squash is cooking, prepare the cooked chicken. If using a rotisserie chicken remove breast meat from chicken and shred with hands. Add to medium sized bowl
- Add scallions, red onion, bell pepper, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, black pepper, greek yogurt, Frank’s and butter. Mix until combined
- When the squash is cooked and cool enough to handle, scrape out all squash flesh with a fork and add to the chicken mixture bowl and combine. Save the boats/skin of the squash.
- Transfer squash mixture to boats. Put boats onto cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil or cooking spray
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes on middle rack of oven
- Add mozzarella cheese to boats, then broil on high for 2 minutes until cheese gets brown on top
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing as desired!
- You can make the squash ahead of time. It can stay up to 4 days in refrigerator
- You can make the filling ahead of time and freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight container