The holidays are here, which means time for eggnog! Although, I would make this any time of year because it’s so delicious. I know that “light” can sometimes turn people away because why not splurge on the holidays? But this lighter eggnog can also be made the regular way as I outlined below. For the light version, I used trivia for my sweetener and low fat dairy products for the milk ingredients to make it less fat and lower carb! This eggnog is still creamy, rich and spiced perfectly for every sip! It also only takes about 20 minutes to prepare prior to chilling.
If you want to spike the eggnog you can use a variety of liquors! Bourbon, whiskey, or dark rum pairs extremely well with it. Or just have it plain!
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp Truvia (or 1/2 C sugar)
- 2 Cups 2% milk (or whole milk)
- 1 Cup fat free half and half (or regular half and half or cream)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon – for topping
- cinnamon sticks – for topping
- Bourbon, whiskey, or dark rum – optional
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar in medium sized bowl until fully combined, set aside
- In a medium saucepan add the milk, half and half, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Stir frequently until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat
- Add one spoonful at a time of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking well in between each spoonful. Be careful not to curdle the eggs
- As soon as all the hot mixture is added to the egg mixture return all contents to saucepan
- Heat on medium-low for a few minutes whisking constantly, mixture should thicken a little bit (note – the eggnog will thicken a lot more as it cools). Remove from heat, add vanilla and mix.
- Pour mixture into a glass container or pitcher that is heat tolerant. Remove cloves while pouring mixture (note – the cloves tend to stay at the bottom of the pot making them easy to remove)
- Let eggnog cool at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to placing in the refrigerator. Once placed in refrigerator allow 1 hour at least to chill
- Serve over ice or straight up with liquor of choice if desired. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a cinnamon stick! Enjoy!