These may look complicated, but they are very easy, and so satisfying! If you want to be adventurous you can make just the filling and put it over pasta or rice, or just eat it plain!
4 red bell peppers
1 yellow or orange pepper (chopped coarsely)
1 pound of ground turkey
2 T olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
1-1.5 C mushrooms
1 zucchini (chopped coarsely)
1 yellow squash (chopped coarsely)
1 C spinach
1 can, 14.5 ounce, diced tomatoes
1.5 T tomato paste
1 T minced garlic
2 tsp Italian Seasoning (to taste)
2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T Franks Hot Sauce
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes (for spice if desired)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the stems off the 4 red peppers, then cut each pepper in half (shown above). Wrap each pepper in foil and put on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
2. Cook the meat fully in a large saucepan. Set aside.
3. Add the olive oil and onion. After a minute add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms release juices and tenderize.
4. Add the green and yellow squash and orange/yellow pepper and cook until tender.
5. Add the spinach and cook down. Then add the cooked turkey.
6. Put in the tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and remaining ingredients
7. Fill the peppers and return them to the oven for 15 minutes.
Absolutely delicious……can’t wait to make them !
Enjoyed a few of these Outrageous Peppers with some Wine and good company.