Healthy and hearty! One would think you would miss the pasta in the lasagna…but you don’t at all! The flavors in the zesty turkey meat sauce make up for the lack of pasta! And the squash adds a perfect crunch and texture to the dish! This meal takes about an hour total and makes 4 big servings. It’s perfect for a healthy and hearty dinner!
2 medium spaghetti squash
2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 T minced garlic or 5 gloves chopped
20 oz ground turkey (93% or 99% lean)
1 lb can crushed tomatoes
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine (optional)
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup zucchini, chunked
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 T oregano or Italian Seasoning (I like Penzeys)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese-for the top!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Rub a little olive oil (1/4 tbsp) onto each half and sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder onto each half. Set face down (skin side up) on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 40-50 minutes until tender.
- In a fry pan brown the meat until fully cooked on medium-high heat.
- In a separate large saucepan add 1 T olive oil and garlic. Add the zucchini and onion and cook on medium-high until slightly tender. Then add the mushrooms and spinach and cook until done, stirring constantly.
- Add the meat and stir. Then add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and wine.
- Add the rest of the seasonings: Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.
- Cook sauce on medium heat until it bubbles, stirring occasionally. Then simmer until spaghetti squash is done cooking.
- In the meantime mix the ricotta and cottage cheeses in a small bowl. Add a sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasonings.
- When the squash is fully cooked turn it face up and evenly divide the sauce and cheese mixture onto all 4 halves. Assemble each squash by putting there sauce on first followed by the cheese mixture.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese gets hot and melted.
Eat this right out of the squash! Enjoy!
My mom is totally obsessed with spaghetti squash! I’ll be passing this recipe along to her in an instant. Thank you!