This florentine sauce is rich, hearty and protein packed! This style florentine sauce is a low fat vodka sauce with spinach and chicken. I love substituting spaghetti squash for pasta, especially with heavier sauces because it makes the dish a lot lighter and allows the taste of the sauce to shine through. Spaghetti squash is a great alternative to pasta and very easy to make! If you are unsure about using the spaghetti squash you can use this sauce and put it over pasta. Or, try using half pasta and half spaghetti squash! This recipe makes enough sauce for about 1 spaghetti squash worth plus a little extra!
1 large spaghetti squash
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 T minced garlic
1/2 onion chopped (I used a spanish onion)
2 T olive oil
24 oz crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 C fat free half and half or nonfat milk
1/4 C vodka
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
5 oz package of spinach
Directions for spaghetti squash:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Rub a little olive oil (1/4 tbsp) and sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder onto each half.
- Set face down (skin side up) on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 40-50 minutes until tender.
- Stands of spaghetti squash should be easily removed with a fork when done
Directions for sauce:
- Cut chicken into bite size chunks. Then heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and minced garlic in medium fry pan (large enough to fit the chicken). Once pan is hot add the chicken and salt and pepper and cook until done. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then sauté the onion until it browns on medium to medium high heat.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the vodka and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the half and half or milk and stir well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add in the spinach and mix well until cooked and incorporated. Then add the chicken.
- Cook for a remaining 5-10 minutes until desired thickness.
- Serve over pasta or spaghetti squash with some parmesan!
**Tip-Adjust the amount of milk/half and half if you desire a more creamy sauce.