Chicken, beans, veggies, spice, cilantro, cheese…in a soup! What more could you need? This soup is filled with hearty mexican-style spices with tons of veggies and some chicken and black beans for protein. I find that some soups need to be more filling, but the chicken and beans in this soup definitely do the job. A one pot meal that is completely satisfying for the whole family. This soup is easy to prepare and does not require tons of ingredients that some soups need. It also has at least half of the sodium that normal soups do. Sodium is commonly the hidden enemy with soups so it is important to try and reduce it as much as possible. The low sodium chicken broth, V8, and low sodium beans really help to reduce the salt content, and these ingredients still provide all of the tasty flavors!
This tortilla soup can also be served hot or cold, depending on the weather and the occasion. I like to use a rotisserie chicken or precooked chicken to make this tortilla soup because this allows the soup to take only 30 minutes to make instead of close to an hour. This soup is delicious either way though! Sometimes I make guacamole with this and have that on the side with some veggies or chips for an extra crunch. This soup can also be served over some brown rice to get some whole grains incorporated into the meal!
Makes about 6 Cups (Serves 4)
Wine Pairing: Rioja
2 small white/yellow onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 T olive oil
1 zucchini, chopped
2 fresh jalepenos chopped or 3 T jarred jalepenos chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 C low sodium chicken broth
3 C spicy low sodium V8 juice or just low sodium V8
1/2 T chili powder
1/2 T oregano
1/2 T cumin
3 T C chopped cilantro
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 pound of shredded chicken from a rotisserie or precooked chicken
1-15.5 oz can low sodium black beans
1 T lime juice
Black pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper for additional spice if needed
Shredded low-fat cheddar cheese for serving (optional)
Avocado slices for serving (optional)
1. In a 2 quart pot sauté peppers, onions, and garlic with olive oil for 3 minutes on medium-high heat. Then add the carrots, zucchini, and jalepenos. Stir constantly until slightly tender (7 minutes).
2. Add in chicken broth, V8, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cilantro. Bring to a boil.
3. If using raw chicken breasts, add in whole chicken breasts and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20-25 min until chicken is fully cooked. Remove and set aside to cool.
If not using raw chicken, continue to cook on medium heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
4. Shred cooked chicken or whole breasts from the broth until fully shredded. Add into broth.
5. Strain black beans. Add beans, lime juice and black pepper. Taste soup and add additional chili powder, cumin, oregano, or cilantro. (Sometimes I find sprinkling a little more of everything is perfect). Add cayenne for additional spice if desired.
6. Serve immediately with shredded cheese, and lime and cilantro for garnish.
Note: If you do not use spicy v8 and desire more spice, sprinkle in cayenne pepper when the spices are added for additional heat. Remember, do not add too much cayenne at one time!