Gluten free, low sugar and low fat chocolate chip cookies?! It’s a win win for everyone! I took the Toll House Cookie Recipe and recreated a cookie recipe that I think is just as buttery, sweet, rich, and gluten free! When I make gluten free baked goods a go-to for me is oat flour. It’s my favorite kind of flour to use because it gives the baked treats an oaty, hearty, nutty flavor that takes on the other ingredients in a cookie, cake or dessert. Oat flour is also a whole grain flour and contains extra fiber and protein that will keep you satisfied with less. A must try and can be found at most grocery stores in the natural/organic sections.
Not only gluten free, but these cookies also contain less sugar and less butter. I used half the butter and replaced canola oil to reduce the saturated fat content. I also used less sugar in general, because I find the cookies are sweet enough with the chocolate chips and other ingredients. I like to commonly use more brown sugar than white for that delicious molasses flavor. This recipe tastes just like regular chocolate chip cookies!! Enjoy!
3/4 C dark brown sugar
1/3 C white sugar
1/2 C butter (I use light butter) **or can substitute 1/4 C applesauce and 1/4 C butter for less fat
1/2 C canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 C oat flour (or gluten free substitute such as almond or rice flour)
1 1/2 C chocolate chips
1 C chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Makes 4 Dozen Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream butter, oil and both sugars with blender until combined.
3. Add in one egg with vanilla. Blend well. Then add in second egg and blend until well combined.
4. Add in flour, baking soda and salt. Blend until thicker dough forms.
5. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (optional).
6. For thicker and more plump cookies put dough in freezer for 5-10 minutes.
7. Spoon cookies with large spoon and drop onto cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Cook for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on edges. When done, remove cookies from tray and place on cooling rack.